Location & Ownership
Moffett Federal Airfield is located at latitude 37°25'N, longitude 122°03'W, on the south shore of the San Francisco Bay, 27 nautical miles southeast of San Francisco International Airport and 6 nautical miles northwest of San Jose International Airport. The field elevation is 34 feet above mean sea level measured at the approach end of Runway 32L/14R. Moffett Airfield is bounded on the North by Former salt evaporation ponds, NASA Ames Research Center on the west, U.S. Highway 101 to the South and Lockheed Martin Aerospace facility to the east.
Current Landowner and Lessor: NASA
The Government will consider two lease options:
Hangar One Only: Approximately 16 acres that includes Hangar One, associated historic buildings 32 and 33 and limited use of the runways and taxiways of the MFA as a non-exclusive user subject to restrictions and limitations; OR
Moffett Federal Airfield (MFA): Approximately 1,000 acres that includes Hangars One, Two and Three, the runways and taxiways composing MFA, several other support buildings and buffer area currently operated as the 18-hole Moffett Golf Course. The Preferred Selected Lessee ("PSL") will operate, manage and maintain MFA to support ongoing Government needs, and may act as a fixed-base operator ("FBO") to allow additional private airfield-related uses and propose other uses consistent with 2002 NASA Ames Development Plan ("NADP") and Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement ("PEIS") along with the historic preservation requirements identified in the Request for Proposals ("RFP"). Please see Section III.B in the RFP for additional leased premise details.
The RFP solicits comprehensive and detailed proposals which will include the Offeror's key personnel, experience, past performance, business plan, financial capacity and capability, and financial offer. (Please see Section V and VI of the RFP for additional details.)
The PSL will be fully responsible for the restoration, rehabilitation, preservation and/or adaptive use of Hangar One, as well as the ongoing management of the leased premises, subject to existing agreements, cost reimbursement arrangements, restrictions and limitations imposed by the Government. The Government prefers to lease all of MFA and will evaluate proposals that seek to lease and manage MFA more favorably than proposals to lease Hangar One only. The PSL's proposal under either lease option MUST include the provision and commitment that Hangar One will be re-sided in accordance with the Secretary's standards and the requirements. See Section VI of the RFP for proposal organization and content details.
After selection of the proposal that best meets the stated criteria, NASA will consult with the State Historic Preservation Officer ("SHPO") and the Advisory Council for Historic Preservation ("ACHP"), and then execute a lease agreement with the PSL.
GSA will schedule tours of MFA for interested parties through mid July 2013 by appointment only. Tours will generally be held Tuesday through Thursday from 10 am to 3 pm. Entities interested in a tour must contact GSA at least 72 hours in advance. Since the tour will consist of driving through MFA, NASA security procedures must be followed. Please see Section VII.A of the RFP for more details.
History & Environment
Hangar One was conceived and constructed to support the U.S. Navy's "lighter-than-air" reconnaissance program following World War I. As part of the development of the former Naval Air Station Sunnyvale (renamed NAS Moffett Field in 1935), construction of Hangar One began in October 1931--two months after the U.S. Navy purchased the initial 1,000 acres for NAS Sunnyvale--and was completed on July 1, 1933. The Hangar was built for the U.S.S. Macon and associated Sparrowhawk aircraft. The U.S.S. Macon was a 6,500,000 cubic-foot dirigible that was powered by eight engines providing 4,500 horsepower and could achieve a top speed of 85 miles per hour. The U.S.S. Macon arrived at NAS Sunnyvale in October 1933 and was housed in Hangar One. However, in 1935, the U.S.S. Macon crashed off the coast of California due to a storm during a training mission. This accident along with the crash of its sister ship, the U.S.S. Akron, effectively ended the "lighter-than-air" program.
Hangar One was used by both the Army Air Corps and the Navy in support of various mission objectives from 1935 until NAS Moffett Field was decommissioned under the 1991 Base Realignment and Closure ("BRAC") process. Under the BRAC process, Hangar One along with approximately 1,100 acres was transferred by the Navy to NASA in 1994 for integration with the adjacent Ames Research Center, which was established in 1939 as the Ames Aeronautical Laboratory. As part of the transfer, the Navy retained environmental cleanup responsibilities for the property.
As further described in the RFP, the Navy determined that removal of the siding of Hangar One was the most efficient method to comply with the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act, as amended, ("CERCLA") to address contamination caused by deterioration of the siding materials.
The decontamination of Hangar One included the removal of interior structures and the metal siding, leaving exposed the steel frame structure and coating it with epoxy. The removal project was undertaken and is being monitored by the Navy, but it is not responsible for re-siding the Hangar. NASA has not been provided the necessary funds to install new siding to protect the exposed steel frame from the elements.
Please review Section III.D Environmental Considerations of the RFP for further environmental information.
Map of the Bay Area Showing Moffett Field
Aerial view of Moffett Field area with Hangar One lease option area outlined in yellow
Aerial view of Moffett Field with Moffett Federal Airfield lease option areas outlined in yellow